A short summary
We are raising money to knit hats for children in Intensive Care Units as well as knitting hats for the homeless in Reading and the surrounding areas through collaborating with the charity Launchpad. We're holding a 12 hour knit-athon from 8am -8pm at the University of Reading RUSU boardroom on Friday 2nd February 2018.
We are the committee for the University of Reading Domestic DIY Society (RUDDIYS) and we wanted to host our own event to support the local community using our talented crafters and anyone else who has a passion for knitting.
The causes we are supporting are varied but provide warmth to those in need as well as showing the recipients of the hats that others in the community care about and want to support them through difficult times in their lives.
The small hats for intensive care unit babies were some of the first knitted items made when the committee members were learning to knit and has been an ongoing project that we wished to spread awareness of. Hats of this size are required because babies born prematurely often have very limited clothing options from regular sources as they are so tiny. The hats help to regulate the babies temperature and keep them looking cosy.
Recently, the President of our committee slept rough for a night as part #sleepout2017 for the YMCA Burton. It was a humbling experience and extremely cold which inspired us to knit hats for Launchpad to support those in such conditions every single day.
We hope you agree that these are worthy causes to donate to, and help us to realise our goal!
Where will the money go?
- We will be spending all the money earned on knitting needles, wool, postage and packaging and using extra money that is raised to continue to donate items to the charities involved (including Launchpad Reading http://www.launchpadreading.org.uk/ ).
- However, we will have a donation pot on the day to collect any donations to go straight to the charities involved so bring along some spare change.
- We have some small knitted items as a thank you for donations big and small.
Find us here
Help us succeed!
- We'd love any donation you can give to help us support these causes.
- You can also support us by coming along to the knit-a-thon! The more the merrier.
- But you don't need to give money to help us succeed! Please share this project with anyone you think would support us including friends, family and any inspired knitters. We'd love to see you at our knit-a-thon!